Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 4, Person 4

In the quest to find our 4th person, Kaidon and I went to the Starbucks Cafe on 24th and San Antonio. I don't really know why, but we like to go here a lot. Whether it's to study or to just simply observe people, we love this place.


Photobucket

Did I also mention that it rained a lot today? When it rains, it pours. Don't get me wrong. I love the rain - just not when I'm unprepared for the unpredictable Texas weather. We seriously scanned the whole cafe for what seemed like hours until we almost gave up hope. We walked outside, and Kaidon spotted our potential person. She was scurrying down 24th street in her black, noir trench coat. Kaidon grabbed my umbrella and chased right after this mysterious woman. Creepy. I know. We do anything for our blog.

This is just a glimpse of Austin showers.

- Mary


Meet Ayla

Photobucket

School: University of Texas at Austin
Major: Studio Art

Wearing: Old Navy trench coat, shirt from Buffalo Exchange, and skirt from F21



Photobucket


I took a particular interest in this girl because of the glimpse I caught with the corner of my eye seemed promising. I had no doubts in my mind about how blog worthy she was going to be. She rushed by in the rain (or so I thought she did, maybe it was how short of a time it was for me to notice her) under her black umbrella that was so picturesque and cinematic; I had to chase after her at that. Mary described her perfectly. If one word came into my mind, it was mysterious. She definitely was in search for something. She looked a little lost, a little hesitant, but completely in control.


Photobucket

Cool. Relaxed. Chill.

I started asking her questions, although I couldn't hear her name the first time, I continued. She mumbled a bit, but it all fit with who she was. I liked that. I asked her where she was headed in the pouring rain, and she replied that she had hit an inspiration plateau, a "creative lost". A common disorder for artists in general - a few of the things in the world that we are not immune to. This caught my attention. She also explained that she was into film and was exploring the area of black/white photography, something that's similar to art and film, almost a medium yet so foreign.

"How are you supposed to express anything without a sound or color?"

I wanted to know what she was impacted by, what inspired her and and what gave her a purpose. Maybe a thriving passion? She also gave me a questionable answer, "That's a good question" and I was happy at that. What an answer! Can I please start answering questions like her from now on? It was a vague question especially after we had just talked about how she was at a creative lost and that she's on an exploration but honestly, I get inspired by the most random things at random times. As a fashion designer, I always tend to think in terms of garments and the end production. Random things that give detail and structure in my life come from anything. Colors, shapes, nature, people, history, stories, pictures, and stalking random people to take a picture of them are definitely some of the things that intrigues me. She did explain that she usually wear clothes that are either really colorful or all black and very 80's, but not intentional of course.

I had asked her for her last name towards the end of the conversation to keep up with the pattern from the first blog post but she humbly refused to tell and I respected that.

-Kaidon


Remember to wear your Austin best. You never know where we'll be next!

No comments:

Post a Comment