Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 11, Person 11

Kaidon and I were walking back to our respective apartments when we spotted a couple sitting outside Cafe Medici. Cafe Medici is a small coffee shop on the drag. It was one of my first coffee experiences when I was a freshman two years ago. Rather than going to all of those fraternity parties during orientation, I was a loser and went there instead. On a more related noted, we did what we do best and asked to feature these people.

Meet Isabella and James.

Photobucket

James and Isabella became friends after meeting in an introductory theater class.

Name: James
School: University of Texas at Austin
Major: Mathematics
Wearing: Short from Barney's; Shirt from Barney's Co-op; Paul Smith shoes; Tag watch
Current obsession: French new wave films/ costumes; guitars

Photobucket

Modern. Elite. Showy.

Photobucket

James is one of those people who love art but don't actually major in it. Installation of performance and surreal sculpture are two of his favorite types of art. He particularly finds interest in Louise Joséphine Bourgeois. Louise is best known for her spider sculpture, Maman. Remember the video game from 2000 called Pikmin? One of the monsters from this game reminds me of Louise’s sculpture. Ultimately, James just wants to be an installation artist and not have a "real" job. But ... what's real anyway these days?

Photobucket

Name: Isabella
School: University of Texas at Austin
Major: Studio Art
Wearing: Shoes from Urban Outfitters; American Apparel Shirt; Anthropologie Cardigan; Skirt given as gift
Current Obsession: Romance, infatuation

Photobucket

Textural. Dark. Lace.

Photobucket

Isabella also loves art and is actually majoring in studio art as a third year student. Like James, she also likes installation art. Ultimately, she wants to be a patron of the arts and is greatly inspired by pop art. When I asked her if installation art was similar to the artwork that people usually see in the Blanton Museum, she quickly told me that installation art dealt more with creating space than creating something on a canvas.

I know that I’m not a great artist or even close to even being an artist at all, but I love meeting artists. I study science or at least pretend to all the time, so I love it when I get the opportunity to hear insightful words from artists. The combination of art and science is what makes us unique as humans.

-Mary

1 comment: