Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 9, Person 9

Mary and I had a little July 4th Brunch date with our partner in crime, Shristi, at Taverna, a local Italian restaurant located in the corner of 2nd and Lavaca. We were actually planning on getting there earlier because there was this amazing soccer game that was going on (?), complimented with dollar mimosas, the whole reason why I was sold, but who doesn't know amongst our circle of friends that Mary and I define the meaning of "fashionably late"?

We arrive right before the cut off time for $1 mimosas and of course, Mary would forget to bring her I.D. You know? It's like destiny. Something always goes wrong. Regardless, the whole time we were busy trying to meet the balance between the taste level and price points on the menu full of unfamiliar language, our eyes were roaming around the restaurant trying to spot a potential person of the day.

WHAT A FAIL.

Every time I spot someone with an above average style (who am I for even to decide?), I felt like I was actually giving him or her more credit than they deserve. What's the word? Desperate. Nothing clicked and Mary was on the same boat.

It's like we never know which person we are going to feature. Well, obviously because every person that's featured on our blog is very "spur-of-the-moment". Every story I get out of the people we literally attack surprises me. This is one of the reasons why I love to loiter around and meet random person each day.

"Expect the unexpected" comes to my mind.

Finally, my urge for nicotine takes over, some people get it but most people don't. Actually, that's a lie, most Austinites get it. It might have been a sign but as I was taking a cigarette break, participating in some photoshoots, I spot a woman. I think her quirkiness and her curly hair probably did it for me.

Meet Laura.

Photobucket

Occupation: Pastry Cheft at La Candesa
Current Obsession: Luke Perry from 90210


She seemed a little awkward towards us. I mean I don't blame her, how many times a day do you ever get asked to be photographed and interviewed by random strangers? She had asked her friend to make her laugh so that she feels more comfortable. Her friend and I both yelled out "penis" at the same time. Which provoked her smile that matched her quirky hair and her quirky glasses and her quirky personality that went almost too perfectly with her quirky answers.

Photobucket

Whimsical. Quirky. Colorful


Laura is actually from Brooklyn, New York and she moved to Austin in February of last year. She also described the downtown of Austin too hectic during fourth of July and that she preferred to stay home and drink her shitty beer. I surely didn't know what to expect, I mean for one, I had work on 4th of July, and two, this was my first July 4th in Austin. I kind of always embrace the unexpected... Sweet and discreet rebellion of my own.

She described her perfect day as "waking up early, reading in bed, drinking coffee," then "shitty beer, patio and delicious food and laughing a lot." I'm sure a lot of us can relate to the relaxed and chillness of her perfect day.

Unlike most that pursues career that ends with many acronyms, her ultimate goal in life is to own an ice cream parlor.

All of sudden, her shorts made me think of strawberry sherbet.

Photobucket

"PENIS!"


No comments:

Post a Comment