Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 7, Person 7, Miss New Mexico


I have come to the realization that when I blog, I have to listen to certain genres of music. Music, in general, has a way of reaching deep inside those places within us that nothing else can. It inspires, soothes, and (in its most powerful form) moves us.

On a more related note, Kaidon and I went to Barton Creek today to buy denim pieces at the Gap. All sale items were an additional 40% off. Here is a Mary 101: I never spend more than $30 on a single clothing piece. We went to F21 immediately after. Near the cash register, we spotted a tall fashionista in her patriotric romper. Seems fitting since it was 4th of July weekend, huh?

Meet Rosanne Dene Aguilar.

Photobucket


School: University of Texas at El Paso
Wearing: H&M Romper, Louis Vuitton Bag
Current Obsession: Designers, skinny jeans

Unlike most of the people we meet, Rosanne is not a native of Austin. Rather, she is from Las Cruces, New Mexico and is just visiting Austin for the holiday weekend. I really didn't put the two together until she told us she was Miss New Mexico 2010. I was in complete shock when she told me this. Not because she was some American celebrity that more than 1/2 of America knew but because she was so humble and modest about her accomplishments.


I was even more amazed when she told me she wanted to one day be a pediatrician/oncologist. Other than myself, I've never met anyone outside of school that wanted to be a doctor. So ... of course, I felt an instant connection to Rosanne. You know what I have realized about many pre-med students? They want to be doctors because their parents told them to. Worst of all, they want to be doctors because they think they can somehow gain some lucrative salary one day - and maybe save a life or two while they're at it. I like to think that people don't put me in that cold, cold category. I, without a doubt, would not but Rosanne in that category either. She has always been interested in medicine and helping children but solidified her goals after her nephew passed away from cancer. I can understand. My grandfather died when I was really young, and I always remembered him going to the MD Anderson Medical Center in Houston. It's always hard to watch a loved one die. It's worse when you know you can't do anything about it.



Photobucket


Fitted. Trendy. Classy.


Photobucket



Also like me, she goes to a UT system school in El Paso. When we asked her about another career choice she would pick, she said she was really interested in fashion. If I could ever desert my dream of being a doctor, I would want to probably be a fashion major too.

- Mary


Photobucket

P.S. Just in case you guys wanted to know, it was SUPER hard picking just a few pictures to put it on here because they were all too gorgeous. o.o - Kaidon

No comments:

Post a Comment